Tuesday, December 16, 2008

When I leave


Hey guys,

So here it is.  My 2.5 week long blog attempt.  My sisters pretty much convinced me to make this to track my progress whilst in Taiwan.

I leave on December 18th and return January 4th.  

This is the first real vacation I have taken ever.  My mother used to take me on random FOB tour bus trips to the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone.  At the time, I though it really sucked but now realize just how much fun I actually had on those adventures.  The last time I left the country I was in 7th or 8th grade and it was a trip with my mother (big surprise) to Korea.  I guess at that age, we really aren't free to do what we really want to do.

So now at 25 years old, I can finally see what the hell is out there.  I was originally planning on going to Thailand with my roommate KC, but was convinced to go to Taiwan (Sorry KC, I love you!!! No homo).  As much as I love going on adventures, hiking, and seeing lady boys, I decided on Taiwan as I just want to relax and do as little work as possible.  I've worked my ass off through college and then worked my ass off at work for a total of 6 years of ass working.  I just want to rest.  

I am not so much a stranger to Taiwan as one would believe.  I am going with a roomie, Jon Hom, and his GF, Annie Chii.  They both lived abroad over there for school and came back to America with a pretty good understanding of the Taiwanese way.  I am regularly going out to eat with them at Taiwanese restaurants as well as being in situations surrounded by Taiwanese people.

Also, by chance, several other friends will be there!

So this is the end of entry one.  I'm still in the US and pretty much CAN NOT WAIT to hop on the plane!

I promise the next entries will be more entertaining with pictures, and better writing.

For more info on Taiwan, check out:

3 Comments:

At December 16, 2008 at 1:48 PM , Blogger Mia said...

I guess putting off Thailand this year was even a better decision in hindsight. I'm simultaneously proud and jealous. Please to channel Bourdain, minus the diamond stud earring and coke habit, and post lots and lots of food pics. Be safe. Have fun.

 
At December 16, 2008 at 3:18 PM , Blogger myshittylunch said...

ill be sure to eat a lot of pork products and head cheese if i get a chance. I am looking forward to trying snake dishes, as they have a whole neighborhood dedicated to it. I am also looking to the worst diherea a man has ever had.

 
At December 16, 2008 at 7:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just listened to an NPR segment on travel tips, reported from Taiwan. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=94114009. James, be safe and have fun. Cant wait to see your pictures. So glad to hear your ass is getting a break from all the working.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home